Is Mould Making You Sick? Here Are Some Mould Removal Tips

Published June 29

Mould is something no one wants to talk about, especially when it’s in your home. But when you consider the number of side effects untreated mould can cause, it becomes hard to ignore. Below we will list the common mould allergy symptoms and the best way to clean mould off walls.

Symptoms linked to long term effects of mould exposure include:

  • Skin irritations – You can suffer from rashes, dermatitis and/or fungal infection of the scalp (leading to hair loss) when coming into direct contact with mould.
  • Allergy symptoms – Typical hay fever and cold symptoms such as a runny/blocked nose, sore throat, sneezing and coughing, and a fever. As these are common symptoms, one way you can tell of mould is an influence is if these symptoms are more severe at home, or at noticeably mouldy areas.
  • Respiratory infections – Mould is a fungus which contains mycotoxins. This can travel through the air and if it enters your system, it can cause respiratory problems. From something as light as a blocked nose to chest tightness, wheezing and critical lung conditions. People who have weaker immune systems may be at an increased risk of getting an infection.

  • Asthma symptoms – Mould can cause pre-existing asthma symptoms to flare up and trigger asthma attacks. Young children could also develop asthma if exposed to mould for too long.

  • Side effects on the brain – With high mould concentrations, adults have a small chance of experiencing memory loss. Children may also develop learning disabilities as a result of mycotoxins entering the system and affecting the brain.

  • Reproduction problems – Mycotoxins in the body can disrupt hormonal balance, making it harder for women to conceive and develop a healthy baby.

While some of these are very rare and only apply in unique circumstances, it’s nothing to scoff at. If you have any strange symptoms, be safe and get them checked out as soon as possible. 

Now you know what mould can do besides be an eyesore, how do you get rid of it?

The safest and most effective way to remove mould is to have a professional mould removal service come in and remove it for you. They have the training, specialty experience and equipment to provide the best way to clean mould off walls and other surfaces, while also disinfecting them.

Think of it like this, you know the effects mould can cause. You could take the risk of cleaning it yourself with products from a supermarket, but you could then risk not cleaning it properly but merely spreading it around. If it comes into contact with your skin then enters your body, you could experience the very symptoms mentioned earlier. It’s best to keep yourself safe and leave it to the professionals. 

Your local mould specialist in Sydney can assist you with any questions for keeping the mould away once its gone, and more. Stay safe during this pandemic and remove mould from your home as soon as possible. 

Be Sociable, Share!


For a professional residential and commercial cleaning service in Sydney, contact us for a free quote. We guarantee to do a thorough clean and the head technician on your job will always have vocational training in the service being rendered.